During his State of the State address on Wednesday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo made an impassioned plea to the Legislature to ignore pressure from the gun lobby and end the madness of gun violence. He sought the toughest gun laws in the nation.
The governor proposed legislation to:
* Tighten the assault weapons ban
* Ban all large-capacity gun clips, some that hold 100 rounds
* Increase penalties for those who illegally buys guns, use guns on school property and who use guns in violence and drug-related gang activity
* Allow mental health professionals to report someone dangerous, permitting law enforcement to confiscate the individual’s firearms
* Require all gun owners to reapply for a permit every few years, replacing the lifetime permits
‘The President is going to act’: Vice President Joe Biden guarantees Obama will bypass reluctant Republicans and cement new gun control laws