It’s Derby Day! Our annual Trail Mix tradition lives on. We’ve picked our horses and vie for bragging rights (6:24 p.m. EST Saturday on NBC, Coverage begins at 4 p.m.). Our defending champions: Chloe and Rick riding Orb in 2013.
Here’s the mint julep recipe from the bartenders at Louisville’s historic Brown Hotel:
- Make simple syrup by taking equal parts of hot water and sugar. Stir.
- Add fresh mint and muddle [mash, preferably with something like a pestle, otherwise use the back of a spoon].
- Add crushed ice to an 8-ounce glass.
- Add two ounces of simple syrup.
- Top off with Kentucky Bourbon, and add a sprig of fresh mint.
A few times during the year, the local denizens set aside their mission to keep politicians on the straight and narrow while solving the problems of the world. This year, May 3 is one of those days. Once more a Trailmix tradition looms. Fearless leader will find himself aboard winged transport during the race, so a toast might be in order as we lean back take a sip of favored liquid and watch the beautiful animals race into history. Bragging rights for the year ahead are the only reward. This year, the horses (by post position), their real riders, the morning line odds, and their Trailmix jockeys are as follows:
Post / Horse / Jockey / Odds / Trailmixer
1 . Vicar’s In Trouble — Rosie Napravnik 20-1 — Nash 2.5 / Flatus / Lani
2. Harry’s Holiday — Corey Lanerie 50-1
3. Uncle Sigh — Irad Ortiz, Jr. 40-1 — XRepublican / KGC
4. Danza — Joe Bravo 9-1 — DaveB
5. California Chrome — Victor Espinoza 5-2 — Theresa / Madeleine Stowe
6. Samraat — Jose Ortiz 16-1
7 . We Miss Artie — Javier Castellano 40-1
8 . General A Rod — Joel Rosario 33-1
9 . Vinceremos — Joe Rocco, Jr. 50-1
10 . Wildcat Red — Luis Saez 20-1 — Patd / Craig / Sturgeon / Chris / Dexter / Mudcat
11. Dance With Fate — Corey Nakatani 20-1 — Whiskey Jack / Jamie
12. Chitu — Martin Garcia 33-1 — Pogo
13. Medal Count — Robby Albarado 40-1
14. Tapiture — Ricardo Santana, Jr. 28-1
15. Intense Holiday — John Velazques 20-1 — Ignex
16. Commanding Curve — Shaun Bridgmohan 40-1
17 . Candy Boy — Gary Stevens 25-1 — Chloe / TonyB
18. Ride On Curlin — Calvin Borel 20-1 — SJWNY
19. Wicked Strong — Rajiv Maragh 13-2 — Jace / Renee / Joe Bruns / Rick
“One Mint Julep” is a jazz standard and I’ve opted for the vocal in video below (Sarah Vaughan). For those who prefer the instrumental versions, there are several great ones available including Tommy Emmanuel, Ray Charles, and Count Basie.
— Jamie is a Trail Mix Contributor